SURFERS AGAINST SEWAGE
Surfers Against Sewage is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans beaches, waves and wildlife.
Our aim is to create ocean activists everywhere. Our purpose is totally inclusive, allowing absolutely anyone anywhere to get involved with our campaigns, community activities and volunteering opportunities. We are about connecting all humans to the ocean and creating communities of people who want to make real change happen in the systems around us.
Thriving ocean, thriving people. This is our vision of the future. A world where Society is in equilibrium with a restored and revived ocean ecosystem. This simple phrase reflects our values and campaigns that deliver positive outcomes for both people and planet. It’s also a mantra, a motto, a rallying cry to drive us on, with a huge collective goal to help tilt our delicate planet back on its axis. This sounds huge, but when you love what you do, and work as one, that future draws ever nearer.
Our main aims
Plastic Pollution – end single use plastic pollution on UK’s beaches by 2030
Climate Change – we want the UK to be net zero by 2030
Marine Protected Areas – we want 30% of the ocean and all UK MPA’s as highly protected by 2030
Water Quality – end untreated sewage discharges into UK bathing waters by 2030
- We campaign to ensure positive change for the environment and to educate the general public about the most pressing issues impacting the marine and coastal environment.
- We collect data through our citizen science projects to inform our campaigns and deliver positive change.
- We provide real time water quality information at over 350 beaches through the Safer Seas Service, to protect users and deliver evidence to ensure water companies adhere to current legislation whilst pushing for better standards and further investment.
- Through our Ocean Conservation All Party Parliamentary Group we work with other NGO’s and politicians to ensure solutions to marine conservation issues are highlighted and discussed at the highest level.
- Education programmes – our Plastic Free Schools programme is currently working with 6% of schools in the UK, our aim by 2023 is to increase this to 20%.
- Beach Clean programme – we have one of the largest networks of volunteers undertaking regular beach cleans in Europe.
- We publish reports on key marine conservation issues to influence key stakeholders and educate the general public.
- We deliver communications and advocacy campaigns that influence millions of people every year through PR, digital and social media.
- We train and equip our passionate network of Regional Representatives, our ‘super volunteers’ in over 200 locations throughout the UK.
- Our Plastic Free Communities programme (700+) works with communities throughout the UK, from Hackney to the Highlands, to rid communities from unnecessary single-use plastics.
- We organise special events such as Plastic Free Awards to highlight outstanding individuals having a positive impact on their communities and the environment.
One Running Movement is proud that Surfers Against Sewage is a Charity Partner on Run For Climate Change, launched on World Mental Health Day 2020.